comforting dal soup
Perfect during a cleanse or for a nourishing and light dinner, this dal soup has healing spices and creamy dal.
Comforting Dal Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Cook Time: 12 Minutes
Stovetop Cook Time: 30-40 Minutes
- 1 cup Yellow, Green or Red Moong Dal
- 4 cups Stock of choice or Water
- 1 ½ cups Finely Chopped Seasonal Vegetables (carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, peas, kale, cilantro)
- 2 T Ghee or Cooking Oil of Choice
- ½ t of Cumin Seeds
- ½ t of Mustard Seeds
- 1 inch of Ginger Root (finely chopped)
- 1 t Ground Cumin
- ½ t EACH: Turmeric, Kashmiri Red Chili or Paprika, Garam Masala and Black Pepper
- ¾ t Ground Coriander
- 1 ½ t of Himalayan Pink Salt
- Pinch of Hing (asofoetida)
- Squeeze of Lemon or Lime before serving
- Cilantro for Garnish
- Place dal in a large bowl and rinse many times until the water runs clear. Soak for at least an hour.
- Place 2T ghee in warm Instant Pot or pot on the stove, wait for it to melt.
- Add your whole spices: cumin and mustard seeds, and ginger. Allow them to temper until fragrant, no more than a minute or two.
- Add your pinch of hing.
- Now add your finely chopped vegetables, allowing them to sauté for 3-5 minutes. This allows the vegetables to take on the flavor of the aromatics.
- Add your powdered spices here: cumin, turmeric, Kashmiri red chili or paprika, garam masala, black pepper, ground coriander and Himalayan pink salt. Stir to incorporate.
- Drain your dal and add the Instant Pot or pot on the stove.
- Stir well to coat vegetable and dal with the spice mixture.
- Add your stock or water.
- Stir well once again.
- Cook in Instant Pot on High for 12 minutes. Cook time on stovetop will be between 30-40 minutes, stirring often.
- You may blend the soup once finished for a thicker, creamier texture.
- Top with a squeeze of lemon or lime and garnish with cilantro.
Our favorite warming, grounding recipes to start your day with a healthy Ayurvedic eating ritual.