immunity & cleansing green juice
Kapha Season & Boosting the Immune System
Spring, Kapha season in Ayurveda, is a time of new beginnings, a fresh start. Plants are sprouting from the ground, trees are budding, and the birds are chirping. The earth elements are very present during this time.
But the transition between seasons can sometimes be tough on the body. Winter is ending and spring is starting to arrive, the snow is melting, and rain is in the forecast. It is a very wet and damp time of year. These wet, heavy, and damp qualities of the season can create the same types of qualities in the body and mind.
Physically this could show up as mucous in the body, congestion, and emotionally this can show up as sadness, lethargy, possibly depression. It is crucial for our immune systems to be strong during this time to fight off these symptoms, and especially with our current situation happening in the world. To prevent these symptoms from showing up in the body and mind, we must balance out our diet and lifestyle with opposing qualities. Warming, drier, lighter, and energizing foods and practices, to bring back balance and stay happy and healthy! In addition, Cleansing is a standard practice to gently assist the body in adjusting to the seasonal transition.
Kapha Self-Care Practices
Incorporating these practices and foods into your daily routine will
help you feel lighter; more energized, and protect the body and mind
against seasonal symptoms.
- Wake up early and get the body moving. Take a walk, practice yoga, do some gentle exercising, put on some of your favorite music and dance!
- Wear or diffuse at home, uplifting essential oils, like orange, bergamot, and juniper.
- Don’t over eat, have a light and energizing breakfast, a satisfying lunch, and a light, nourishing dinner. Try to avoid meats and dairy during the season transition. Lean towards vegetable based soups, cooked greens, and quinoa, with warming herbs and spices, such as cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, oregano, basil, and ginger. Spices enhance taste and digestion, as well as prevent the accumulation of ama (toxins) in the body.
- If you are craving a snack, reach for an apple. But remember fruits should always be eaten by themselves; it is easier for our bodies to digest properly.
- Consider our other 7 immunity-boosting practices for resilience
Watch Stephanie's video below, and scroll for the green juice recipe.
For updates on our latest Self-Care Rituals installments, subscribe to our newsletter.
Recipe: Cleansing Green Juice
Stephanie shares one of her
favorite beverages for this time of year. A powerful, energizing, and
cleansing juice. Watch her video demonstration and enjoy!
2 Kale leaves
2 handfuls of spinach
2 apples, cored, peeled and sliced
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ tsp Turmeric
2 cups water
Combine all ingredients in blender, and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer; use the back of a spoon to press out all juices. Serves 2 glasses.
Connecting with nature brings us into balance, and can lower stress levels. This video with Sarah demonstrates 5 mindful practices.